The Registered Nurse is a health care professional and the case manager. This position requires expertise in the areas of patient and family assessment, determining the appropriateness of and acceptance for private home health services, coordination of services given by other health care providers and knowledge of state regulations.
- Ability to function independently
- Excellent assessment skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, caregivers as well as other members of the healthcare team including agency coordinators, physicians, and case managers.
- Ability to effectively teach patients and caregivers according to establish a plan of care.
- Good organizational skills
- NYS License and current registration as a Registered Professional Nurse.
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in Nursing.
- At least one year experience in the in an acute care facility.
- Current CPR certification
- Knowledge of the scope of practice for a registered professional nurse.
- Good organizational, writing, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to read/interpret documents such as safety rules, operating a11d maintenance instructions a11d procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively with customers/patients or employees of the agency.
- Ability to apply c01mnon sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
- Complies with agency policies with respect to submission of assessments, visits and time sheets.
Customer Service/Interpersonal Skills:
- Provides services requiring skilled nursing care, health teaching to the patient and family to achieve the patient’s optimum potential, or provides support during terminal stages of illness. Is responsible for the clinical record of each patient receiving care.
- Assures that progress reports are made to the physician for patients under medical care when the patient’s condition changes, or there are deviations from the plan of treatment.
- Is responsible for maintaining a current medication record and for medication teaching to patient and family.
- Reviews the plan of care in consultation with the physician and other health care providers when appropriate.
- Maintains a current Physician’s Plan of Treatment on all assigned cases.
- Projects a discharge date and provides discharge plam1ing in consultation with the patient prior to discharging the patient.
- Maintains appropriate infection control techniques in providing a safe environment in the patient’s home as per agency policy.
- Notifies patient of visit schedule.
- Is responsible for relaying patient care information and instruction to other healthcare professionals in the event the health care professional is going to deliver care to the patient.
- Initiates appropriate preventive and rehabilitative nursing procedures.
- Is responsible for supervising and teach other nursing personnel, HHA and PCA’s.
Specialized Skills and Technical Competencies:
- Knowledge of patient assessment procedure
- Knowledge of patient teaching process
- Knowledge of pathophysiology
- Knowledge of medication administration via IV, IM and SQ routes
- Knowledge of medication interactions ( drug-drug and dug-food)
- Knowledge of infection control practices and aseptic/sterile techniques
- Knowledge of methods of effective connnm1ication with patients of all ages and socioeconomic levels
- Knowledge to evaluate and revise the plan of care as needed every 2 months.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Work Environment: Field, Patients’ homes
Confidentiality Statement: Upon application, you will be asked to sign a confidentiality statement as laid out below.
Agency records are maintained in a safe and secure area with specific access availability to ensure confidentiality. Agency records, flies, documents and reports are the exclusive property of the Agency. Only authorized personnel will have access to clinical/financial/personnel records.
A responsibility of this job position has clearance for access to the following confidential information:
- Patient Clinical files which include all patient care information, medical orders, assessments and reassessments, medication rep01is, progress notes.
- Agency staff with access to computer files holds all information in strictest confidence in the processing, storage, and discarding of all date. Only authorized personnel will have access to written and computer data information; Authorized personnel will be assigned passwords/access codes to computer files necessary to conduct their responsibilities.